Yesterday, I was at work, long after the kiddos had left my classroom, I was taking a bit of a break prior to attending a parent conference in which I was going to have to share that this particular student has a penchant for making fart jokes in front of my entire class, sort of derailing any productive review of similes and metaphors. Anyways, this parent did not show up, so I had a few extra minutes, when I clicked on to Moose’s blog, where I noticed that she was heading off to meet some bloggers. And then I clicked on it, and it was all, “ESCAPE TO SACRAMENTO!” and I was all, “HEY, I LIVE THERE!”
So, I sent a few emails to Maggie and basically invited myself to crash the party. Rude? Probably. But they assured me that it was the more the merrier, and I should totally come, and if I didn’t get to, I’d totally stalk them anyways cry. So, that, my friends is how I found myself signed up for at least some weekend activities with some really amazing bloggers.
Everyone else posted a list of 13 things you should know before you meet them. Here are mine for things you should know before I crash your party like a lame-ass you meet me.
- Upon first meeting me, most people think I’m sort of weird because I am quiet and clam up. Here’s the deal: I am shy. Okay? There is nothing to it, other than the fact that I’m CONVINCED that I am going to say something stupid, or that in the 5 minutes for which we’ve been acquainted, you’ve decided you despise me. But I’m a nice girl, I swear. I just need to warm up. A glass of wine and a big smile usually make me feel great!
- When I am nervous, I say “soooo” at the end of every sentence. Example: “I teach middle school, and I’ve been doing that for 3 years, soooo…” It’s awkward. Sorry about that.
- Things I think are funny: everything that Tina Fey says, The Office, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Arrested Development, people falling, my own ridiculousness, most things. I laugh a lot, I’m sarcastic and have been told I’m witty. There are few things that offend me, and mostly, I just love laughing and not taking things seriously.
- I am a loud sneezer. I’m sorry if my sneezing causes you to drive off the road, weep openly, or pee your pants. I try really hard to rein it in, but…there it is.
- How do you know I’ve had too much to drink? I put my face in one hand and lean. Oh, and I think I have a lot of wise things to say. I don’t. Tell me to SHUT UP.
- I really, really love hugs and hugging and all that, but I’m super awkward about initiating them. What if I am rejected?! THEN WHAT? So, I’ll happily hug you, and if you see me sticking my arms out in some sort of a huggish way, just give me one, mkay?
- Um, it’s really easy to make me cry. This isn’t a warning to “be careful about what you say” but more a notice that if you see me tearing up, I’m fine, really. I cry a lot. It’s not you. Oh, and it’s likely that I’ll be laughing in just a second.
- I have never sang karaoke; however, I really enjoy watching others sing. Singing karaoke is on my life list…so, you never know. Why not humiliate myself in front of a bunch of people I don’t know?! Might be the time.
- I am sick in love with Sacramento, and while I know it’s kind of lame-ish, I LOVE IT. I am so excited to show some of you my favorite little city-town in the world.
- I love to talk everything from books to movies to music to pop culture…I really love everything from the smart, nerdy stuff to Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami.
- I am a coffee addict. I will probably drink a billion cups before I even show up, because I am terribly grumpy without it.
- If you find I’m being shy, awkward, or quiet, ask me about teaching. I really, really love it and it’s an easy way to draw me out of my shell and get me talking. Plus, middle school kids are freaking hilarious, so I’ve always got something to say.
- All of this is basically to say: I’m SO EXCITED, but also so scared. From reading your posts, I don’t think I’m alone in that feeling, so yay! But still.
I really can’t wait!